Thursday, July 7, 2011

Live blog: Artie Lange makes his return to radio


Live blog: Artie Lange makes his return to radio

Digg! 10 pm EST: Comedian Artie Lange, most famous for his years as the master third-mic man on The Howard Stern Show, is making his return to radio tonight, but on Fox News Radio, not with Howard. It’s happening now-ish. He hasn’t been on the airwaves — satellite or otherwise — since he attempted to commit suicide in January of 2010. I have no idea if Artie will talk about anything other than sports. But I do know his buddy, comedian Nick Di Paolo is co-hosting with him. So I’m going to tune in for as long as possible — the show runs until 1 am EST — and see if Artie can give us any insight into his life right now.
10:07 pm EST: Artie tells Nick he’s been sobering up in a rehab facility in Florida. I can tell you I recently heard Lange was indeed, in West Palm Beach at a facility. So that info makes sense to me. Nick promises us the pair will talk about more than sports during the show. Hopefully we’ll get some info. But seriously, Artie sounds great and by Nick’s account, he looks great as well. Earlier in the day, we posted a pic of Artie looking pretty damn good (for him).
10:15 pm EST: Going into the first commercial, Artie and Nick sound like they’ve been doing radio together for years. Do I smell a new satellite radio show pitch? Would it be better for Artie to just separate from Howard, join a new radio crew and continue plugging away on the mic? I say, yes.
10:28 pm EST: Apparently, it’s hot as hell in the studio at Fox Sports Radio. Artie says he feels like he’s going to pass out, but he’s drinking a milk shake to stay cool. Adam from California is the first caller and is happy to hear Artie back on the radio.
10:32 pm EST: We also just got these two comments on the blog, though they’re not showing up for some reason. So, I’m posting them here: “Welcome back, Baby Gorilla! We love you!and “Arty very happy to see you are doing well. You are the best. Too fat to fish was.the first book i szpent money on in over twenty years. You will be back better than ever. If you need a friend when you come to Brooklyn or someone to talk to call me. Say hello to your mom and.sister for me.”
10:38 pm EST: Rich “Goose” Gossage, former New Yorks Yankees, pitcher is now on the phone as the show’s first guest. Pretty safe to say Artie’s not going to talk about his personal life in this segment.
11 pm EST: Heading into commercial Nick and Artie promise to talk about the Casey Anthony trial, which is good, because I can’t take much more sports talk. I know. It’s a sports show. But I’m only listening for Artie and Nick.
11:05 pm EST: Nick says it again. Artie looks great, “like a young Gavin MacCleod.” Artie is reading Keith Richards’ book now, he says, claiming that heroin actually preserves you. You just can’t do too much at one time. They’ve shifted to the Casey Anthony trial. And Lange makes this crack: “I was outraged by the verdict, I don’t think she lied to police.” And, another one: “I would date her in a second. I think it would be good publicity.”
11:18 pm EST: Looks like television personality and sports chick Jillian Barberie has tuned in.
Jillian Barberie
11:20 pm EST: Roy from Maine is the night’s second caller asking about something or other about the Casey Anthony trial. Keith in LA is the third caller and gives Artie a “FIRE.” “We’re happy you’re back right now,” he tells Artie. He asks Artie who he thinks should replace Clarence Clemons from Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band. “This aint Sirius unfortunately,” Artie says after someone gets booted from the phone line after cussing.
11:27 pm EST: The fourth caller finally brings up the Howard Stern Show to Artie, saying he’d love to see Artie back on the show. “That would be the greatest thing ever,” Artie says. “I was on the greatest show of all time for nine years but I put them in a very awkward situation to say the least. But I love all of them.”
11:52 pm EST: Here’s a photo of Nick and Artie in the studio tonight!
ArtieNick
11:54 pm EST: Artie gives a shout out to Dottie the counselor who helped Artie get sober at Ambrosia rehab center in Florida on Singer Island. “I’ve been in more rehabs than Larry King’s had wives,” Artie says.
12:20 pm EST: They’re on the phone with a dude from Yahoo! Sports now talking about the NFL lockout. I’m starting to zone out, to be honest.
12:57 pm EST: Well, I’ve never listened to this much sports radio in my entire life. It probably won’t happen again anytime soon. But it was a treat to hear Nick and especially Artie in good spirits. Artie says he might show up to Nick’s show tomorrow at Carolines in New York. Also, Artie confirms, “I’m writing a second book. I guess they’ll be more crazy stories in there.” Show is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger