Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Courtney Love Unloads!


In an astonishing interview with Maer Roshin of thefix.com Courtney Love points the finger of blame at a journalist for tipping Cobain over the edge, insists she has lost $900m dollars to unscrupulous lawyers and tells of the agony of addiction

Reported by Eric MacKinnon
Published: May 30, 2011. © Rock AAA.
Courtney Love
Courtney Love has taken aim and unloaded both barrels at a host of targets including journalist Lynn Hirschberg who she claims was the final straw which tipped her late-husband Kurt Cobain over the edge and pushed him towards suicide.
The Hole singer also claims to have lost an eye-watering $900million at the hands of unscrupulous lawyers who left her so skint she and her and Kurt’s daughter Frances Bean were forced to move in with a relative.
In an astonishing interview with The Fix Love also fires back at Kelly Osbourne for calling her a ‘crackhead’ but admits her struggles with drug addiction are not over after she was recently tempted into taking a ‘bump’ of cocaine.
When asked when she first realised her drug use had become a problem Love told The Fix:
“When I was pregnant with Frances. When my doctor informed me I was having a baby, I knew I had to get clean real quick. I checked in to a hospital to detox. But then my world was turned upside down by a very bitter, very ugly woman named Lynn Hirschberg, who published an article about Kurt and me in Vanity Fair.
“She is famous for doing hatchet pieces on other women and blow-jobs on famous Jewish men. She’s constantly falling in love with celebrities like Rick Rubin, Quentin Tarantino, Harvey Weinstein, and Jerry Seinfeld. In fact, she was fired from Vanity Fair because she sent Jerry Seinfeld an article she had written about him and allowed him to edit it before it appeared in the magazine. She’s a monster—that’s all I can say. I don’t have hate in my heart for anybody, but she’s more responsible for my husband’s death than anyone.
“I went to rehab before her story came out. I had checked myself into Cedar-Sinai’s chemical dependency centre to come down off of opiates. The guy who ran the unit at the time was an addict himself, and he offered me morphine to induce an abortion. I told him, ‘I want this child. Are you out of your mind?’ He told me, ‘Oh, if you kick heroin, you’ll miscarry anyway.’ But you know what? I’m built like an ox. I wasn’t about to lose my baby. She came out a few months later and she was beautiful and healthy and perfect.
“I think the stress caused by Lynn Hirschberg’s article had a lot more of an impact on her than anything I ever did. When that article came out, I’d been in a chemical dependency unit for a whole week! After I went home, Kurt was using a lot of heroin, so I usually spent the night with friends. I didn’t stay around Kurt too much when I was pregnant. That whole episode made us drift apart.
“Yes, it’s true, I used heroin in the first three weeks of my pregnancy—but so fucking what!? I didn’t even know I was pregnant at the time! I also took a few puffs on a cigarette when my belly was out to here, but most of those nine months, I walked around with nicotine patches all over my body. When you have a baby inside you, you’re not going to do drugs or something stupid.”
When asked if blaming Hirschberg for her husband’s suicide was unfair Love responded:
“Stop being such an asshole! Who do you think you are? Barbara Fucking Walters? Go read that article again! Do you know what it’s like when someone sets out to do a hit piece on you?
“As a writer, wouldn’t it be your worst nightmare if you drove someone to suicide? I hope so. Because that’s what Lynn Hirschberg did to Kurt, all right? She humiliated and emasculated him. She sent him over the edge. She deserves most of the blame for his death. Do you really want to challenge me on that fact?”
Cobain took his own life in 1994 and Love admits she almost did the same after she claims she uncovered a trail of deceit and fraud which almost ruined her financially.
She continued:
“It was shortly after I found this huge box in my house, filled with fraudulent credit cards. There were hundreds and hundreds of them, all made out to different names and entities, and they were all being charged to me.
“It was the first time I realised that I was being taken for a ride. My lawyers and accountants had literally stolen hundreds of millions from me right under my nose.
“The whole thing sent me into a real tailspin. For a long time, it was all I could think about. I was spending all my days obsessively going through these documents, smoking crack, and getting high all the time.
“You know, when Kurt died he left behind hundreds of millions of dollars. His estate earns more money every year than any other deceased musician in history. Even more than Elvis! But despite all this, at one point I was so broke that myself and Frances had to move in with my stepfather. These people were feasting on billions of dollars, and my child and I didn’t have a dime.
“After I figured out what was going on, I was determined to find a paper trail. I hired a forensic accountant to find out how all these fucking people had managed to screw me so royally. The strange thing is, while the drugs screwed me up in a lot of ways, they improved me in certain others. I’ve never been good with numbers, but when I was on crack I could do math really, really well. I became a fucking whiz at calculus. But I also became kind of psychotic, unfortunately.
“You know, I’ve been through a lot of trauma, I’ve witnessed a lot of death. I’ve looked the devil in the eye. According to the London Times, I’ve had $900 million stolen from me. I’ve had my daughter metaphorically and literally kidnapped.
“My husband’s money is supporting a squad of corrupt lawyers who fucked me over. It hasn’t been easy. I can be eccentric, egotistic and temperamental. I can be a real bitch. But I also know that I’m a really good artist.
“So do you really expect me to be well-adjusted all the time? Look at all these little stars—Britney and Lindsay and all the others. Being famous is a dangerous profession these days.”
The above article is an excerpt from an interview by Maer Roshin of “The Fix” with Courtney Love. A full transcript of the interview is available at www.thefix.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger