Friday, June 24, 2011

Iommi’s surprise at metal label


June 24, 2011


Iommi’s surprise at metal label

Tony says he thought Sabbath were hard rock band until he returned from States to discover term had been invented

Tony Iommi
Proud: Iommi
Black Sabbath icon Tony Iommi says he was surprised when he first heard the band referred to as a heavy metal act – because he always thought they were a hard rock outfit.
But he’s proud of the label after having lived with it for 40 years.
Iommi tells the BBC: “I wasn’t familiar with the term for quite a few years. I always looked at what we did as heavy rock.
“It was first mentioned to me by a journalist from a well-known magazine. He said, ‘Oh, you play heavy metal.’ I said, ‘What? What’s that?’ He said, ‘Well, that’s what you play.’
“I’d been in America for quite a while and I’d never heard the term. But ever since that it’s been non-stop. I still think we’re heavy rock, but you are put in a bag. I’m quite proud of it now.”
Iommi has been involved in the creation of an exhibition in Birmingham Museum which celebrates the genre’s roots in the midlands area.
He says: “Since we’re so-called inventors of this music, it’s really great for Birmingham and it’s really great for us all.”
The Home of Metal exhibition runs until September 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger